February 24, 2011

Watching downhill


It was a beatuiful morning; clear blue sky, but cold and windy. We walked from the car to the lift, carrying our skis on the shoulder. Little Boy lagged behind. I turned around.
“What are you doing?”
“Putting my skis on.”
“Not yet”, I said, “we take the gondola.”
“No, we go by the chair lift. The line for the gondola is too long”, said Little Boy.

We went by the double-quad chair lift, shivering in the cold wind, 10 meters above ground. We looked down on the race course below, where lots of people were working. The course crew mounted double and triple safety nets on both sides. The TV crew rigged camera towers along the course.
“What’s going on?” asked Little Boy
“There’s a World-Cup downhill race next weekend.”
“Can we watch it?”
“No, we’re going home on Thursday. We can watch it on TV.”

I’ve seen pro downhill live only once. It was the World Championship in Beaver Creek, in the famous Birds of Prey course, more than ten years ago, when we lived in Colorado. We were down on the race arena. The racers came down the last hang at 120 km (75miles) per hour before crossing the finish line. It took less than 3 seconds. Then we waited a minute or two for the next one.

“Can’t we just stay a few more days?” asked Little Boy.
“No. I’m teaching Friday morning. Maybe we can watch some of the practise tomorrow”
“I want to see the race.” Little Boy was disappointed.

“Watching downhill live is just boring”, I said, “It’s best on TV” >:)

(When we approached the top lift station, my face felt stiff in the cold wind. I took off my right glove, just for a few seconds. I snatched the camera from my pocket, and was barely able to take the picture above, before my hand froze to ice.)

6 comments:

  1. Oh... too bad you had a conflict--I bet he would have loved it, even if you are technically right, that it is probably just boring (too fast to see much)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hart: Yes, you're right. Downhill is to fast to see much. It's better on TV with 10 cameras along the course ... but we did watch some of the practice yesterday. The US Ski Team was there with their best female skiers, like Lindsay Vonn and Julia Mancuso >:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think most live events are better to watch on TV...sad, isn't it? Seems like it should be the other way around. Cool that the US Ski Team was practicing there, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sports are better on TV than live - with the exception of baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth: I agree, with one exception: Football (I mean soccer of course). European Champions League is really cool to watch live in the stadium, and English Premier League too >:)

    Alex: I learnt to enjoy both (American) football (I'm Broncos fan) and basketball when we lived in Colorado, but must admit I have never understood baseball

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is just too cold.

    I totally understand your son. Seeing something live is so much better than watching it on TV! Maybe you can plan a trip in the future that would coincide with a race.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails