February 27, 2011

City of two teams


I’m visiting this city where I always get lost, the capital of Lombardia, Milano (in Italian), Milan (in English), Mailand (in German).

On my way south, I had a connection at the fucking Frankfurt Airport. Many times I've promised myself to never go there again. But it's one of the major connection points in Europe, and hard to avoid. We came in late, due to capacity problems in Frankfurt, as usual. I ran like Hell to get from Terminal B to Terminal A, down 4 stairs, across a long transport band, and up 4 stairs on the other side. I made it just in time.

The plane to Milano was packed. Lots of Italians of course. Japanese tourists with face masks covering mouth and nose; afraid of being poisoned in Europe? A young girl with bright-blue hair; cute. An orthodox Jew with iPod; I wonder what kind of music he was listening to. I leaned back in my seat with a good read, On Writing by Stephen King.

Milano is completely flat, located on the plains of River Po. There’s no fjord or hill, unlike my hometown, no mountains in the west, unlike Denver. It's just flat, and damn hard to keep track of directions, in particular when the sun is hidden behind the clouds. Thanks to the metro system, I can usually find my way back to the hotel.

This is a city of two teams. If you know anyhing about European football (soccer), you know what that means. Some well known examples are Manchester (City and United), Liverpool (Everton and Liverpool FC), Glasgow (Rangers and Celtic), Madrid (Atletico and Real), and Milano (Inter and AC Milan).

Arriving at the Linate Airport, I passed the aggressive pirate-taxi drivers hanging around the exit, with "special prize for you", and walked over to the line with the reliable White Cabs. When you jump into a taxi, there is never any doubt which team the driver supports, the car always decorated in the colors of his team, black and red (AC Milan) or black and blue (Inter).

I’m here just for a two days, on a business trip. Unfortunately, there is no time to watch AC Milan on San Siro Stadium, nor a Verdi performance on La Scala. I hope I’ll get a tour of downtown Milano, to see the magnificent Duomo, the huge cathedral from the 15th century.

Tonight, I'm going out to get some good Italian food and a beer >:)

(I took the picture above from the roof of the Duomo a couple of years ago. It's a crap picture, taken with my cell-phone camera.)

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow! So jealous of your travels!!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been and am jealous. While I'd miss the geography, I think the architecture makes up for it--GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will take note and try as hard as possible never to go through the f****** Frankfurt airport.

    Last time I was in Milan, it via an overnight train trip and I never saw it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Italian food and beer ... can't beat that! We see Japanese tourists with masks too. We hosted a couple International Exchange Students from Japan for four days a couple months ago and they wore masks too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a vivid description of your travels. It helps to know a bit of the culture, I'm sure. Enjoy, even though you have to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colene: Yes, we're having fun; it's not only work >:)

    Hart: Architecture IS fabulous, all over Italy, the old renaissance buildings and arts, created by the genius Leonardo and Michelangelo and others

    Lydia: I've done that too, passed through Milano on a night train from Rome. When I was a student, I even spent a night sleeping on a bench at the central station in Milano

    Stephen: The Italian food and drinks are excellent, and the coffee too. The Japanese and their masks is a weird thing. I'm not sure if it started with the swine-flu, or maybe even before that.

    Mary: Thanks. It's not only work. I just came in from a great Lombardian restaurant serving local dishes and wines. Fortunately, the Italians (like me) hate to start early in the morning; not before 9 am, preferably around 9:30 >:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't flown to Frankfurt, so thanks for the tip. ;) Italy has the best food! I love that country!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails