June 2, 2011

Day off



My trip to Russia yesterday was cancelled.

I went to the travel agency in the morning, to get my visa. My flight to Moscow was at 12:30 am, and I had to get my visa before 11 to get to the airport in time.

I didn't.

Nothing to do about that. You can't push Russian authorities. I jumped on the plane back home. We're trying to reschedule the trip to Murmansk for next week, or the week after.

Today is a national holiday, the celebration of the Ascension of Christ (for those who still believe in fiction written 2000 years ago). Little boy and I went for a bike trip, though the town centre, and down to the harbor. on the way back home, we stopped by a small cafe in the old part of town and bought buns and coffee (for me) and Coke (for little boy).

So, I got a day off at home, rather than being at work in Russia.

That's perfectly fine with me >:)

(I took some pictures when we biked around on the harbor. The one above shows the Leif Erikson statue; you know, the guy who discovered America in the 10th (or 11th) century, almost 500 years before Christopher Columbus)

14 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound like you are too disappointed missing your flight to Russia. I love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, that "Columbus discovered..." BS pisses me off, almost as much as his "mistake" at calling our natives "Indians" has stuck. They even refer to themselves as Indians! If that story's so tenacious, the Roman story about a Jewish teacher may linger awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An unexpected day off - bliss! Hope you got lots of writing done? :)

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to get visa each time you go? Hmm troublesome but good to have a day off.

    Chemical Fusion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda: No, I wasn't. A day off was nice >:)

    Will: The vikings moved westwards in stages, to Iceland, Greenland, and Americs; sometimes exploring, sometimes escaping enemies. Leif Eriksons's settlement in America (most likely on Newfoundland) didn't last, either the settlement was supposed to be temporary, or they didn't survive. The rediscovery by Columbus definitely had more long-lasting impact.

    Judy: Yes, I did. Wrote almost 2000 words on my so-called novel, kept writing till 2am >:)

    Enid: This time I got double-entry visa. It's possible to get a multi-entry visa, valid for one year, but it takes more time for the embassy to handle the application.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a cool statue, although it looks so lonely pointed at the water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leif looks like he's staring out at the ocean while thinking, "What the hell. Who is this guy Columbus anyway? Somebody bring me a bagel."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen: Yes, that's exactly what he does >:)

    Leif Erikson was son of Erik the Red, an outlaw who sailed westwards to escape his enemies. Erik founded settlements on Iceland and Greenland. Leif was born on Iceland. This is what's written in Erik's Saga, and what we learnt in school. What is truth and what is myth, that's another question.

    Wrote 1666 words on my so-called novel tonight. It's 2:30 am and time to go to bed >:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how fun, unexpected days off are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps he should have been named Leif the Redson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. id: Yes, a nice surprise indeed >:)

    It's supposed to be summer, according to the calendar, but we're still waiting for the warm weather. In spite of gloves and hats pulled over the ears, little boy insisted: "June is the first summer month, which means we're gonna buy ice cream". Same story today, bike ride to town center, passed by the library (borrowed a book by Saul Bellow), visited a museum, bought ice cream >:)

    Helen: Erik the Red got his nickname because of his red hair (again according to the saga). Leif may have been a redhead too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to your game picks for Monday's blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alex: My list is ready. Will post it on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Am I the only one that wanted you to go to Russia?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails