June 4, 2011

Fun & Games blogfest


A couple of weeks ago I arranged oral exam in the course I've been teaching this semester. Half a dozen PhD students were taking the exam. I made three problems, and made two copies of each, to make the students believe there were six different ones.

I called them in, one by one. Some were nervous, some quite relaxed. It's interesting to observe how different people react when under pressure. To start with, I let them throw a dice, to decide which problem they were going to solve. It was a fun game, at least for me ... it didn't make it to my top 3 list though >:)

So, here it is, my Fun & Games Top 3 list, for the blogfest Alex J. Cavanaugh is hosting today:

1. Skiing. Best there is, no doubt.

2. Badminton. When was a student, I used to play badminton every week, in the university sports center. I played just for recreation, not competitive. It's a fast and fun game, and it gives good exercise. Now I'm only playing with little boy in the backyard.

3. Trivial Pursuit (and similar games). I like the games where you're challenged on knowledge, over a wide range of subjects, from the Boston Tea Party to Russian Classics. And you may even learn something new from wrong answers. We usually skip the dice throwing (it's boring) and just draw the question cards to read.

Finally, here are the games I don't like: All kinds of computer games, Playstation, Nintendo and Wii. Completely useless waste of time, the most boring I can imagine. The kids have all kinds of electronic games and game machines. I refuse to touch it.

(I din't have any badminton pictures, nor Trivial Pursuit pictures. So I picked a skiing picture from my collection, more or less at random, cross country this time. A skiing picture may seam odd at this time of the year. On the other hand, our summer skiing is just a couple of weeks away)

24 comments:

  1. I like setting up Badminton in the yard too (other than the retrieving the birdies from the roof part)--I was never very good, but it is a pretty good kick-around game. Had I been thinking broader, i think I would have included croquet, too.

    And I never got sucked into the computer stuff either. My son LOVES them... daughters phase was very brief. It's more a boy thing, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I love it that you included active games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *fist bumps* for Trivial Pursuit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skiing is no surprise! Trivia games seem to be the most popular at the moment. And sorry, I am a big computer game geek.
    Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skiing is no surprise. Badminton is a surprisingly exhausting game. Actually (much to the disappointment of my very athletic parents) any sport is exhausting to me. And never play Trivial Pursuit against my Mom - she has a mind like an elephant and remembers the most obscure facts in an instant.

    And your poor students. I would have been one of the snivelling ones...!

    My top 3 games. Hmmm. Scrabble, rummy and can't think of a third one.
    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried skiing and I've been known to get tangled up in the badminton net. As for the last one, I must admit my pursuit has been most trivial on certain board games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Trivial Pursuit. One of my favorite all time games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to ski - just not really good. I ran over a kid once. Got yelled at by his instructor. Luckily the poor little dude wasn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to really like Trivial Pursuit. We haven't played for ages though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your list. I forgot about Trivial Pursuit - haven't played it in awhile - actually, since long-time neighbors moved - we used to get together. Really learn a lot from TP.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never played any of the three--although I would like to try skiing sometime. :)

    I'm not into computer games, either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ellie: the students did very well on the exam >:)

    Hart: I agree, computer games seams to be a boy thing. I was a computer enthusiast myself when I was in high school, but I preferred to learn and practice programming, rather than gaming.

    Mary: I'm sitting on my ass in the office all day, so I prefer active games on my free time.

    Pk Hrezo: TP is cool, in particular if you skip the dices.

    Alex: I spend so much time with computers already, at work, and writing. Adding computer games to it would be practically impossible.

    Suze: With or without the dice throwing?

    Judy: Badminton can be exhausting, that's one of the things that make it fun. And the students did pretty well >:)

    Jeffrey: Try skiing. Recommended >:)

    Tim: TP is cool, some of the newer varieties even cooler.

    RaShelle: Good that the little dude didn't get hurt. I've been the instructor for my kids. I never yell at anyone >:)

    carolsnotebook: Look for your old TP on the loft >:)

    Kittie: I've learnt alot from TP too. Not sure if it's very useful stuff ... except when palying TP >:)

    The Golden Eagle: Go skiing. It's alot more fun than computer games >:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was actually pretty good at Badminton when I was in high school. Fun list, though I'll probably never ski. I don't like the cold very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i agree with the no love for computer game stuff. i never liked them. their appeal baffles me.
    trivia games are fun.
    i always had the habit of going in somewhat unprepared for oral presentations and stuff like that when i was in school, somehow it made me less nervous if i was winging it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, someone else not into computer games...imagine that. I do love Trivial Pursuit, glad they came out with several editions to keep things fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Skiing was fun before I sprained my knee. Badmitton is a great game. Trivial Pursuit, too. Nice meeting you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's strange. I was gunna say "bad skiing pursuit" as one of my choices.

    Seriously tho, GREAT choices.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sort of the opposite -- in that I like video games. Playing story-heavy role playing games like Xenogears and Final Fantasy VII helped inspire me to write stories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Skiing... I did that once. It was not a good experience for me. >.< My family used to have a badminton net and last summer, my friends and I got together and we played badminton w/o a net and while slightly drunk. I want to play it now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Skiing...they do a lot of that here in Alaska, but not during the summer.
    Badminton? Really? That is fun for you?
    Trivia pursuit now that is more my style.
    My top 3- Fun & Games
    Apples to Apples- teaches creativity & flexibility
    Bananas- fast game of scrabble
    Playing my ukulele

    ReplyDelete
  21. yay badmitton! sport of kings! (or backyard queens and princes)
    happy belated gameblogfest =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails