June 28, 2011

Let's go to church


The weather was really bad on the glacier today. It was foggy, rainy and strong winds. We skied till noon and got soaking wet. Then we took a break to eat some food, and skied some more, and got even wetter.

We decided to call it a day, at least insofar as skiing was concerned, and went back to the camping down in the valley, a vertical drop of almost a mile down from the glacier.

"What should we do now?" the kids asked.

They were bored in the bad weather, and I needed to come up with some ideas.

"Let's go to church," I said, "as soon as the rain stops."

And that's what we did, the way I go church of course.

Right across the river from the camping, there is an old church, from the 12th century. It's a stave church, built from wood, dark brown from the tar-paint. We walked around the church, and studied the 800-year-old logs and planks, and the dragon heads on the roof. The kids had a competition about who could find the oldest gravestone on the churchyard.

That's the way I go to church, to admire the architecture and the history. It's nice to have some cultural backup when the weather is bad, and there's some time to kill >:)

(Above is a closeup picture of the church, as much as I could capture from inside the fence with my crappy cell phone camera. Both the walls and the roof are made of wood. The oldest part of the church has been dated to 1158. It's assumed that it was completed between 1170 and 1200.)

12 comments:

  1. I have to say this is a very spooky looking church! Definitely not one to give a person the warm fuzzies.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I wouldn't mind that too, maybe have a nap in the church too. Hehe.

    Chemical Fusion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth: Yes, that's true. Medieval churches are always spooky. That's one of the things that make them interesting. I've never been inside the church in the picture, only admired it from the outside. However, the huge medieval dome in our town is really spooky, in particular if you climb the worn-out rock stairs to the top or the tower, or go down in the crypt under the church, a labyrinth of obscure wall paintings and sarcofags. Will post a picture if I get the time to go down there with little boy during the summer. He would love it, for sure >:)

    Enid: I've had many naps in various churches, when I have been forced to go there for certain sermonies (school's service, weddings, funerals ...). For some reason, church service either makes me sleepy or angry, depending on the theme of the sermon. However, I love to visit churches to study the architecture, art and history. It's kind of scary to see the enormous resources that have been put into religious buildings throughout the centuries >:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool way to go to church. I love lurking in the cemetary and looking at the interesting names and dates of the deceased. I always wonder, What's their story?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey that's the same way i go to church!
    when i read the title of your post, i knew there had to be some sort of twist. ;)
    i like the picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary: Lurking in he cemetary is always interesting. In the old days the hierarchical structure of society was maintained even after death, with bishops, bank directors and estate owners closest to church and the lower classes, poor peasants and mine workers away from the church

    id: It's the most interesting way. Sometimes I have followed the service too, mostly in Catholic churches and Orthodox churches were the "show" is more colorful than our boring protestant church >:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is spooky! Sounds like it was a fun little adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A 12th century church in your backyard and you haven't been inside? Go in! I want to hear about it. (It looks very Pottermoore-ish, I like it.) What I wouldn't give to have 12th century architecture in my neighborhood. Better than 12th century attitude. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh... pretty. I think it must be super interesting on the inside.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. An 800 year old church with dragon heads on top. I would love to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lydia: Yes, it's spooky. Investigating the area around the church was a nice alternative in bad weather.

    Jayne: Hehe, I agree that 12 century architecture is better than 12th century attitude. There are medieval churches many places around here. I've never been into the one in the picture, but I have visited the huge medieval cathedral in our home town many times.

    Misha: These old wood churches up in the mountain valleys are often rather simple on the inside. Will take a look next time I have a chance.

    Helen: The dragon heads are pretty cool. They look a like the ones they had on the viking ships

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a setting for a story, or at least a few chapters. Dragon heads like on Viking ships? What more can you ask for?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails