April 18, 2010

MOCKBA


Last fall I was in Moscow, to present a paper on a geology conference. Half of the presentations were in Russian, and I didn't understand much of the simultaneous translation to a language they called English. It was one week before the start of the heating season. Turning the heating on was out of question, in spite the thermometer clearly suggesting so. Therefore everybody was wearing big coats and thick jackets in the auditoriums.

Whatever, it was cool to be in Moscow again. It's almost 20 years since last time I was there, when Moscow was the capital of Soviet Union, and Gorbatchov was the president. The city had changed a lot in 20 years, and then I really mean a lot. All the Lenin statues (except one or two) were removed. The huge banners with communist propaganda was replaced by, guess what, huge commercial posters. Ferrari and Lamborghini had both opened auto stores in the city center.

Every evening, I went for a walk around Red Square, which was looking very much like it used to. I took lots of pictures of course, and above is one I was very happy with. If you look carefully, you can see the St. Basil's cathedral through the entrance to Red Square.

There is a crazy story from the construction of the St. Basil's cathedral: When it was finished, the emperor Ivan the Terrible was very satisfied with the result. To show how happy he was, he gave the architect a very special reward. He blinded him by sticking out his eyes, so that the architect could not build a similar church for another emperor.

8 comments:

  1. maybe the world is getting nicer after all?

    XXX, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely insight into Russia. My niece (who is a political analyst) has also had some lovely experiences in Russia.

    Thanks for your visit to my blog. You may be glad to hear that my next punctuation blogpost (due around the end of April) will be on the semi colon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, I'm looking forward to learn more about the semicolon; will keep an eye on your blog >:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a thank you I'd for sure rather not get!

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came back because I forgot to say I'd love to go to Russia. Wow!

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Russia is avery interesting country; the history, culture and literature. I have many Russians on my list of favorite authors, in particular Dostoyevsky, but also Tolstoy, Turgenev and Lermontov. And I have another little blog post from my trip to Moscow, to appear soon >:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to Russia. It's a country I'd love to go and spend some times there. So what's the problem with the translation?

    Really Angelic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always wanted to go to Russia....I love the literature too, cold! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails