April 5, 2010

Spring-winter


Days are getting longer. The day lasts longer than the night now, finally. Down in the valley, by the railroad, the first flowers have sprung. Close to town the snow is slushy and rotten. But at higher elevations, above timberline, there is still dry, cold, white snow, and good skiing. The sky is blue, the sun is warming. People are digging out a bench in the snow, to sit down and take a rest, drinking coffee from the thermos and eating a chocolate bar. It's spring-winter, the very best part of the winter.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks like fun, even though I'm a really bad skier. My kids always skied in front of me so they could get to the bottom and turn and laugh at me.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem, with the kids. Even little boy is skiing faster than me now, taking more agressive lines in the steeper parts of the slope. But since I'm almost three times heavier, I usualy catch up with him on the flat parts ... it probably means I'm getting old >:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful and brings back happy memories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails