June 2, 2010

Almost spaghetti

Yesterday we lost the power supply on one of the cables. We had to pull all the cables up to the ship to get it fixed. This is a difficult operation. To avoid tangling, all the cables were stacked on top of each other at different depths, from 2 to 16m (7 to 50 feet) below the sea surface.

For a while we were close to making eight cables into a big spaghetti behind the ship. We had to steer the ship on a course straight into the waves to avoid waves and currents from the side. Fortunately we have some very skilled guys working on the back deck. Now we’re back on track, and the airguns have started to fire on Line 5.

In the instrument room, we are close to getting the on-board data processing up and running. Probably we will get it set up today. Then I can return to the office tomorrow.

Last night we had really nice weather, and approximately 3m (10 feet) of waves. Right after midnight, I was out on the helicopter deck to take the picture shown above >:)

4 comments:

  1. Exactly what you're doing is beyond me, but I am sure enjoying going along on the trip with you. The pictures are great and I'm having a marvelous time.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  2. COLD AS HEAVEN: Beautiful photo!!! I'm glad you didn't have cable spaghetti...what are you eating, by the way? And could you give the newbies a one sentence description of where you are and what you're doing there...I've had some people ask and I've probably got it totally wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Difficult operation, it seems. But good that everything is fine now.

    In Quest of Theta Magic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the guys working on the cable deck are really good.

    Anita, we are eating all kinds of goodies made by the steward on board ... and I think I'll write a little blog post to explain, in a simple way, what it's all about, when I get back home >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails