June 21, 2010

Beethoven at the Polar Circle


Yesterday, I was driving from the north to the south of Winterland, together with my old lady. We were arguing about what to play on the stereo. She hates black metal, and I don't like mainstream pop and rock. We compromized on classics, which both of us like.

We started out with Vivaldi; Concert for Two Trumpets and Strings, and then The Four Seasons. My favorite is Winter, as you can probably guess. Then we played Tchaikovsky. When we crossed the Polar Circle after 6 hours, including one hour on the ferry across a fjord, we were on Beethoven; Fidelio, his only opera.

At the Polar Circle there's a souvenir shop, of course, and a monument. I took a picture from the back side of the monument; I thought the snow and mountains were a better background than the souvenir shop full of crap.

There's a scenic road along the coast, but it takes too much time. So we took the fast and boring route, through endless forests and mountains. After 15 hours driving, we were home ... damn tired of Vivaldi and Beethoven.

Today, I'm back on black metal >:)

3 comments:

  1. I'm with your old lady and Beethoven! :)
    Sounds like a great trip; it's such a different world.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boring long trips through the forests and mountains; wish I could rather drive across the African plains >:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, just reading your posts make me cold. And I'm actually cold right now since we left Texas where it was supposed to get about 97 today and are now in Lake Tahoe where there's snow on the mountain peaks. And I didn't bring a jacket.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails