June 21, 2010

Dirty dozen blogfest


I came over the Dirty Dozen Blogfest on a the blog by Watery Tart. I'm not quite sure what a blogfest is, but this one appears to be about favorite movies. Since today's 3rd and last game in Soccer World Cup is over, and I have nothing important to do, I thought I could write down my top 12. So here we go:

12. Matador. Movie by Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar, about death, religion and sex.

11. Betty Blue. French movie about a crazy French girl, with the fabulous Beatrice Dalle in the main role.

10. Braindead (Dead Alive). Zombie horror film from New Zeeland, with tons of blood, made with the ironic touch that makes it cool.

9. Bowling for Columbine. Michael Moore at his best, and insane conservative Americans blaming the high-school shooting on heavy metal and Marilyn Manson (during my years as headbanger, frequenting heavy metal concerts, I have realized that most people with long hair and black clothes are very nice).

8. Night on Earth. A movie about five taxi trips taking place in different cities around the world, directed Jim Jarmusch. The highlight is the last part, from Helsinki, made in co-operation with the Finnish Kaurismäki brothers.

7. Leningrad Cowboys Go America. Movie about a crazy Finnish rock band, directed by the Kaurismäki brothers, with Jim Jarmusch showing up in a bi-role.

6. Dr Zhivago. Classical movie from 1965, based on the classical novel by Boris Pasternak.

5. The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Good movie based on the novel by Czech author Milan Kundera.

4. Cinema Paradiso. Italian movie about … movies and theaters.

3. Pink Floyd The Wall. Great rock movie based on a great album.

2. Änglagård. Humoristic movie about the conflicts that occur when an urban couple moves out to the Swedish countryside, with the beautiful Helena Bergström in the main role.

1. Flåklypa Grand Prix. Animation movie made by Ivo Caprino in 1975 (dubbed to English as Pinchcliffe Grand Prix). I saw it first time when I was 10 yo, have seen it many times since then, last years with my kids. If you don’t know the movie, check out this link

16 comments:

  1. Likewise, though a couple of these have come highly recommended and been on my 'intended to see' list, I haven't even SEEN these (there is some shame in that, as Michael Moore is a Michigander, as I am--and Dr. Zhivago was a soundtrack we had growing up, so I always INTENDED to. Provocative list though--I will need to make a point of seeing some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very unique selections! Thanks for participating in my Movie Dirty Dozen blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list - I love Almovodar - esp Tie Me Up Tie Me Down and I wished I'd thought of The Incredible Lightness of Being - really like that one. Too many good movies! I also thought Pink Floyd's The Wall was well done - best rock doc yet. That could be a whole other fest. Whatever a 'fest' is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no! I haven't seen any of these!
    I like the BOURNE movies. Also PULP FICTION and LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL. Hmmm...I'll try to think of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anita, a great movie that you should get on DVD and watch with your kids is the Flåklypa Grand Prix (Pinchcliffe Grand Prix). Your kids will love it and watch it over and over again, like my boys have done >:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see The Wall, a Parker masterpiece. even though I'm a huge Floyd fan, the imagery of this film is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of foreign flavor mixed into your Dirty Dozen. I watch an occasional foreign sub titled film, manly to help learn French. Thanks for helping to expand our horizons.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another The Wall sighting! And you mentioned Braindead...good list!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have not seen most of these but THE WALL is absolutely great and I did like CINEMA PARADAISO and UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING even though I don't remember them.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. Believe it or not, the only movie on this list I have seen is the Wall, and the only other movie I have heard about is Dr. Zivago. Proves what I always knew - I am pretty dumb when it comes to movies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, your title always sends me to the glutter. I was thinking a dozen dirty deeds, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ach! Betty Blue! Great movie! I preferred the book so much more to the film Lightness of Being, though. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the eclectic list of movies. I think I've only seen one, so this shows me I need to expand my movie list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's fun to see movies from different places around the world, to broaden the mind. There's a few more I should have squeezed into the list, for instance Once We Were Warriors, about the maori people on New Zeeland, and Dreams by the Japanese Akiro Kurosawa >:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Came back for two reasons. One to read your list of movies again. I clearly need to broaden my viewing horizon and go to the movies more. I don't go all that often. Two to tell you I gave you an award today.
    http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com/2010/06/support-those-who-support-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks a lot for the award, Helen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails