January 2, 2011

Powder and broken glasses


We got 25 cm (10 inches) of dry white snow last night. Today we went up to the local ski resort.

Older boy and his buddies got to try their rocker skies, for the first time this season. Rocker skis are wide skis with inverted shape (banana shape), built for the sole purpose of deep-powder skiing. They look almost like water skis with alpine bindings (picture above).

I skied with little boy and a friend of his. The other boy wasn’t very experienced, so I tried to teach him some basic skiing technique; goal-keeper position, with arms forward, moving weight and pressure from left to right to left, in long giant slalom turns. For effective skiing, the weight must be on outer ski and upper part of the body facing down-slope all the time (powder skiing is slightly different, but that’s for advanced skiers).

For some reason, I wrecked my glasses while skiing, my regular reading glasses. I ski with goggles, but keep my glasses in the pocket, to be able to read my cell phone and other things that I need to read. When we finished skiing the glasses were broken in my pocket.

I know the way back home very well, and I was able to drive, but I couldn’t see a damn shit of the speedometer nor the signs by the road. We stopped at a gas station when we got back to town, and I bought some cheap +2.5 reading glasses for $10.

They will do until tomorrow. See you later >:)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day! That sucks that you broke your glasses and had to drive that way but I'm glad everything turned out in the end. Have a great week and thanks for stopping by my blog.
    CD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great day for you and the kids! Sorry about the glasses, though--those are always such a pain to have replaced. Usually the eye doctor notices it's been a while since you've had an exam, you have to schedule an appointment, you have to have the glasses sent off, have to have the fit adjusted...bleh. Hope it won't be too bad and glad you got by safely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Fresh powder is a fabulous new years treat! I'd like to say the broken glasses were from going so fast you caused air pressure problem but something tells me there might have been a crash involved... Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clarissa: Yes, we had a great day on the slopes. Broken glasses don't matter; I had to get some new ones pretty soon anyway.

    Elizabeth: I haven't been to the eye doctor last three years; it takes too much time. I just buy some glasses that I can read with. Maybe it's time I book an appointment again >:D

    Hart: No, I didn't crash. That's why it's kind of mysterious why my glasses broke. I have become a careful skier, since it hurts too much when I crash.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails