January 23, 2011

Top ten music


Today Alex J. Cavanugh is hosting the Top Ten Countdown Music Blogfest. It's almost impossible to pick a top ten, but that's the rule, and that's what I'm gonna do.

Since I'm a metal head, I have included some metal, of course, but there is other good stuff too, like Pink Floyd, Tom Waits and Giuseppe Verdi.

This is my list:

1. Stairway to Heaven, pre-metal classic by Led Zeppelin. The first time I heard this song at age 13, I was sitting in my room reading The Hound of Baskervilles. Every time I hear the song it reminds me of Sherlock Holmes.

2. Måneskyggens Slave by Gorgoroth. Old-school black metal at it's best, and the most desperate vocals ever recorded.

3. Freezing Moon by Mayhem. I still prefer the original studio recording with vocals by Dead (who committed suicide in 1991). Mayhem is still a good band. Last time I saw them live was in May 2010.

4. Mother North by Satyricon. The link will send you to the uncensored video, which was banned by MTV and most TV channels. Here is another cool version, recorded live with the National Broadcasting Orchestra. I've seen Satyricon live many times and Mother North is always the last song in the concerts.

5. Shine on You Crazy Diamond Part V1-IX by Pink Floyd. I've always listened to Pink Floyd, and I still do. Actually my favorite Pink Floyd song is Echoes from the Meddle album, but it's too long, so I picked this one in stead.

6. O Don Fatale from the opera Don Carlos by Verdi. I've seen this opera twice: The first time was in Leningrad (now St Petersburg) one year before the collapse of the Soviet Union. The second time was in the Vienna State Opera a few years ago. Mezzo-soprano is the voice I like best, and this is one of Verdi's best arias.

7. Lashed to the Slave Stick by Nile, a technical death-metal band from South Carolina with very good musicians and a special style.

8. In the Neighborhood by Tom Waits. I saw this video on TV in 1983, and ran to the store to buy my first Tom Waits album the next day. Since then I've bought many more.

9. Bobby Brown by Frank Zappa. The song was released when I was in junior high school. We didn't really understand the lyrics, but had a feeling it was a little bit dirty. So we brought the lyrics to English class and asked the teacher to help us translate it. She looked at the text, blushed and refused.

10. När vi två blir en by Gyllene Tider. I had to include one of the Scandinavian party hits from the 1980s, not because of the music, but for the memories of friends, girls, parties and good old days. Note the clothes, hair-cuts and glasses of the audience in the video.

There are many other bands that should have been on my list. Among those who almost made are Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, black-metal bands like Taake, Burzum and Arcturus. And then there is all the classical music, operas by Verdi, Rossini and Puccini, Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz and The Planets by Holst. That's what would make up number 11 to 20 on my list >:)

(The picture is a book cover from www.amazon.com)

36 comments:

  1. Some wonderful choices and great memories in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hear it for metalheads!
    Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tom waits, awesome!
    what a great selection of music
    thanks for the melody's,
    jeremy
    [iZombie]

    ReplyDelete
  4. "WHEN IT'S COLD, AND WHEN IT'S DARK, THE FREEZING MOON CAN OBSESS YOOOOOOOOOOU"

    I never have enough of Mayhem and Freezing Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little opera ... you have a wide range of musical tastes. Its fun to see what others have for their Top Ten List.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink Floyd - yes!
    And Icehouse was from Australia. Well, Iva Davies still is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know a bunch on this list. It's so cool learning about new music on this bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of these songs but I bet they're cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting list. Can't go wrong with "Stairway to Heaven". That Satyricon music is pretty far out for my tastes. I'll go with the opera.

    Lee
    Make sure you check my Wednesday post!
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of Gorgoroth, but considering that name comes from Tolkien's Middle Earth, it's got to be freaking awesome.

    Great list, thanks Cold!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, while I don't know most of these songs, I am a fan of what Tom Waits I've heard (Little Drop of Poison---Shrek soundtrack, awesome) and I've read Hound of the Baskervilles---loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't say I know every song on your list, but the ones that I do know, I love. If you are interested, I have an interesting story about where the inspiration for Stairway to Heaven was stolen, er umh, borrowed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Margo: Memories are an important part of it, in particular the 80s music >:)

    Alex: Very hard to choose just a few. I could easily set up a top 100 metal list

    iZombie: Tom Waits has made the coolest live album I've ever heard; Nighthawks at the Diner

    Ben. Same with me. I like both the old stuff from the early 1990s and the more recent avant-garde-black-metal albums like Grand Decleration of War

    Stephen: Metal and opera, I like both, but not so much the stuff in between >:)

    Diane: More than 20 years since I heard Icehouse, now I'll try to find something on YouTube

    Lydia: It's fun to see people's lists. I've found a couple of new great songs >:)

    Clarissa: Yes, they're cool >:)

    Arlee: Opera is cool, in particular live. The combo of music, acting and stage effects makes it very powerful. Will check your Wednesday post >:)

    Matthew: A couple of years ago the band split in two fractions, and there was a law suit about who had the rights to the name Gorgoroth. It was argued in court that the name really belongs to Tolkien.

    Nicki: The Hound of the Baskervilles is excellent. I should probably reread it without Led Zeppelin, to see if I still love the book >:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pat: Thanks, I'm jumping over to check out the Stairway-story

    ReplyDelete
  15. First time I've seen Zappa. Didn't he sing a song about growing dental floss in Montana?

    ReplyDelete
  16. M Pax: Zappa made a song called Montana, but I'm not sure about the dental floss. Montana is a nice state btw, I've been there a couple of times, to Billings and Bozeman and into Yellowstone (which is mostly in Wyoming) >:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't know most, sorry to say, but that's what today is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stairway to Heaven is a great song but I don't know most of the rest. There's too much good music in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stairway to Heaven brings back some definite memories--should have added that to my list. Rock on! And nice to meet you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wendy: Exactly, that's the point >:)

    L'Aussie: Picking a top ten is basically impossible, too many good songs that must be left out.

    Liz: Thanks. Nice to meet you too >:)

    Budd: Yes, it does. There are many good Led Zeppelin songs (Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, Battle of Evermore ...), but I picked only one from each band

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I like how you connected your albums to youtube. Nice!!

    ♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. There's only a couple on your list I recognise. Love stairway :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Led Zeppelin! Pink Floyd! Frank Zappa!! Yeay!!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stairway to Heaven! Wonderful memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm noticing lots of metal on these lists! Many writers, myself included, seem to have listened to metal growing up (and still do). Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's too funny that Stairway to Heaven makes you think of Sherlock Holmes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh some death-metal surrounded by its beginnings. Mosh pit!

    I saw tons of Tom Waits on these lists!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wasn't too big into Grand Declaration Of War, but I think Wolf's Lair Abyss was nothing short of epochal and I also liked Ordo Ad Chao a lot. Thought they had finally found a worthy followed to Das Misteriis

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm a big fan of gravelly Tom Waits - some of your tracks sound as mysterious their titles I need to do some serious research. I have been checking out all sort of music. I love Enter Shikari how deathly can your option be?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Interesting choices. I don't know many of them. I'm off to check out a few. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Elizabeth: I'm glad you appreciated the links, and hope you enjoyed some of the songs >:)

    Lynda: Yes, Stairway tH is a master piece

    Colene: It's amazing how much we have in common >;)

    Jemi: Same with me, lots's of memories

    Jennie: Cool to meet another metal fan. It's like once, metal always metal >:)

    Kelly: It's a weird association, I agree. But this link between Sherlock Holmes and Stairway to Heaven seams to be glued to my mind

    Tara: Death metal is good and black metal even better. I try to move away from the mosh pits now. Too old for that kind of activities >:D

    Ben: I like almost everything by Mayhem, but nothing compares to the Mysteriis Dom Sathanas album

    Elaine: The All the songs on my Top Ten list are good and harmless. I hope you find something you like >:)

    RosieC: Enjoy. Maybe today you will become a head banger >:D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Okay, after seeing it on about 85 of these lists, I guess it's finally time for me to admit that I've never actually listened to "Stairway to Heaven." Gasp! The horror! I will remedy that tonight when I get home. Finally.

    And apparently I should get in touch with my roots and start listening to more Scandinavian music.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Karen: Cool. I'll send you a list of music (and books) every person of Scandinavian origin should know about, from classical to extreme metal >:)

    You can start with this one: this one.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think you and I are the only ones with Gyllene Tider on our lists! I like your story of the connection between Zeppelin and Sherlock Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Deniz: Hehe, you're probably right. Gyllene Tider was a cool party band. But I never liked Roxette, the band Per Gessle formed after Gyllene Tider split up. Jumping over to take a look at your list >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails