January 23, 2011

Wet weekend on the race course


It's been a wet weekend in our local skiing center, snowing in the upper part of the slopes, and raining at the base. I got soaking wet both yesterday and today.

I've been on duty as gate judge, in giant slalom yesterday, and slalom today. My job is to check that the racers pass the gates correctly, and disqualify those who don't.

The parents in the ski club need to do all kinds of jobs when we arrange ski races for the kids. I was in the time-keeping team for many years, now I enjoy doing something different, such as race course patrol or gate judge. It's fun, actually.

I often have a book in my pocket, to have something to read when nothing's happening and we're waiting for things to start. Yesterday, I brought "On Writing" by Stephen King. I shouldn't. The book is in a miserable condition now, wet and creased. I hope I'll be able to dry it and bring it back to a readable state. It's a good book >:)

(Since I was on duty, I wasn't able to take pictures from the races. The picture above was taken by a professional photographer in a Super-G race 6 years ago. I don't know the photographer's name. At that time my older boy was 11 yo and doing alpine racing. Now he's in freestyle skiing. Little boy is an enthusiastic racer)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I know about those parental commitments for kid sports! My daughter, a swimmer, needs timers, scorers, ribbon givers, concession sellers, dinner providers... Sorry it was so soggy! I guess that is the up side of the pool--it is too warm, but that isn't so bad in the grand scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colene: It was wet, but fun >:)

    Hart: I enjoy the kid sports commitments, in particular the skiing (it's soccer in the summer). Also, I like doing outdoor sports (even when it's raining), since I have an office job, and need some fresh air after work >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails