October 1, 2012

Challenge day 01: Ten random facts


“Biggest hype there  is”,  said Tom Snare,  and  reached out for a napkin to wipe off the sauce that he had spilled on his shirt, black as always.  Black trousers, and black shirt, no tie.
Owen Duggan bent over his plate and slurped another oyster out of the shell.
“The teaching, you mean?”
“No, the oysters. Taste  like sea water. I only like the hairy ones”.
Duggan smiled. And put the shell aside.
“You’re a bright guy, Tom. Bright but not smart. You need to learn what’s important. Stop wasting your time on teaching.”
“I enjoy it, getting in touch with the students, sharing my knowledge with young people.”
“That’s OK, but it’s not important. Teaching doesn’t give you any credit. Doing research and writing publications, that’s all that counts in academia. That’s what brings you recognition and fame.”
Tom Snare emptied his pint of dark Kozel, and leaned back in the chair.
“I don’t care,” he said. “I do the things I want to do, not the things I should do.”

2 comments:

  1. I need to up my game (also, remember my own challenge from day 1). Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And time to think about the next challenge >:)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails