April 2, 2015

A-Z Challenge 02: Baal

When I was a kid, my father taught me how to carve wooden men out of birch branches. They were  easy to carve, these small men with a rounded head and a long robe.  My father called them priests of Baal.

According to the Old Testament, Baal was a false God, an idol.

As far as I can remember, I learnt three things from my father: skiing, fishing trout, and worshipping a false God. Now, he’s teaching the same things to his grandchildren.

That’s life, for kids in Winterland >:)

11 comments:

  1. There was a famous showdown between prophet of God, Elijah and the priests of Baal on Mount Carmel. The latter called down fire from heaven. or at least they tried to. Eventually, Elijah asked them if perhaps their god was busy in the toilet. Finally Elijah called down fire from Heaven in the name of God and won the contest. Cool story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Bible is full of cool stories, believe it or not >:)

      Delete
    2. I remember that story. If you're going to call God, call the real one.

      Delete
    3. I treat all Gods equally. I call none of them, but I do of course respect those who do

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't call Basal a false god. he was as real to his devotees as the christian god is to them. and anybody can make up stories that puts their god in a better light than the one they are against. my daddy can beat up your daddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me all gods are false, but some gods are interesting characters. My favorite god is I'll (more about him on U).

      Delete
    2. Ullr, not I'll. I think Saran has taken control of my phone >:)

      Delete
  3. Baal, not Basal. I should proofread before I hit publish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Now I'm only carving turns in the snow. Great skiing today >:)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails