April 8, 2015

A-Z Challenge 07: God

When man made God, he mad Him with different faces in different parts of the world. Some believe in many gods (Hindu), some believe in the one and only God (Abrahamic religions), and some believe in none. The ancient Roman, Greek and Norse religions had a myriad of Gods. The Norse religion even had a God for skiing.

I’m fine with any. Some believe and some don’t.

What I find harder to understand is the belief in the one and only true God. If God is almighty (some claim He is), He could easily show up in different disguise in different parts of the world.

Also, if God is almighty, He’s probably the best of all teachers and pedagogists. He probably understood that talking to Abraham about cosmology, quantum mechanics and the theory of evolution would make no sense. Genesis was a convenient and easy-to-understand metaphor.

By the way, is there any reason why God is He? God could equally well be She, or It.

14 comments:

  1. Still waiting to see how you are going to work Black Metal into one of your 'religion' themed posts. I'm a metal fan by the way, but I draw the line at insulting, degrading or blasphemous tunes. The Devil Wears Prada is more my style, among others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I need to put in some good black metal stuff on one of the difficult letters; X and Z. We will see >:)

      Delete
  2. God is neither he, nor she for me. In my world, God is something so supernatural that it can be only referred to as "it" in our common language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'god' is genderless. god is the sum total of creation. there is no big daddy in the sky. hmmm. maybe god is a middle schooler and the universe is its science project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the middle-school god, not yet ready for the full unified theory of the Universe. But maybe some day he will discover it >:)

      Delete
  4. He's called the Father and Jesus appeared as a man, and since they are one and the same, God is a He.
    Could God appear differently to other people? He could. We don't know for certain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, but the Trinity is just one possible image of God, and which gender is the Holy Ghost? To me all gods represent equally likely (or unlikely) options. Thor, Odin and Zevs are male, Frigg, Freyja and Venus are female.

      Delete
    2. Exactly! Such statements (that God is a He) are the best proof that this religion is male-made. Thanks Heaven for the Mother Nature!

      Delete
  5. Hi, visiting from the A-Z. My god is pretty awesome. Genderless? Not sure how to get around father, son and holy ghost as a Christian. Can God appear differently to other people? Maybe, all things are possible with my god. I like your openness to different points of view. These kinds of discussions need to happen. New follower here.
    Come check out my blog on Inventions by Women A-Z
    http://shells-tales-sails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's easy for me to be open and neutral since I don't believe in any god(s). Of course I respect other peoples beliefs, but I also think that modern religion needs to take into account our knowledge from religious studies and science. Research has shown how classes of religions (e.g. Abrahamic, Indian) have developed from a common origin. Modern religion also needs to adjust to established science, such as evolution, astro-physics and the geological time scale. Also, it's important to be aware of the interplay between religious and political power.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like what you say about talking to Abraham about cosmology etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, cosmology is difficult to understand even in our time >:)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails