April 16, 2015

A.Z Challenge 14: Nature


’ve spent the last few days on an archipelago up in the Arctic, and I’m still there, at 78 degrees north. I’ve been here before. The last time was in August 2013. It’s fantastic, and April is the best time to visit. There is still cold snow and winter conditions, but with the light of the Arctic summer. The midnight sun lasts from 19. April to 25. August at this altitude.

Today we went on a 5-hour snow scooter trip. Normally I’m not too fond of snow scooters. They are too noisy. I prefer to use skis. But up here I make an exception. The area is so huge, one and half the size of Denmark.  There are hardly any roads, and the only way to get around is by snow scooter in the winter and by boat in the summer.

The landscapes here are awesome. This is my temple, if any. We are surrounded by fjords and white mountains. No people around, no bosses around, no gods around. Just the mighty mountains, the way they were shaped and carved by the forces of Nature.

(Picture taken today on our snow scoother trip into the wilderness)

10 comments:

  1. I guess if I had somewhere to be warm and read my book to enjoy the beauty of that area, it would be neat to stay there. I hope you are enjoying your time there as well. If you have time you should stop by and check out my N post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are shops, bars and restaurants and even a library in the settlement so no problem to read.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes. I've been there 4-5 times before. Amazing every time

      Delete
  3. Yes, the best temple of all, my favorite one as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That is an incredible view. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes, in principle it is. But parts of it is damaged by contamination. But I'm a mountain man, so I have a preference for the mountains

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails