May 12, 2010

Alle Cafés haben ein


Around noon we took the tram down to the city center. We found a free table at Café Havelka. This is a classical Wiener Café, where you can get a good cup of coffee, while reading newspapers or magazines, or just watching people passing by on the street.

The waiter was an old man, with light-blue shirt, black bow-tie and suspenders. Maybe it was Leopold Havelka himself? When he passed by our table, I asked, in my high-school German,
- Entschuldigung, haben Sie ein WC? (excuse me, do you have a toilet?)
He stopped and looked at me for a few seconds, apparently very surprised, and replied
- Ja, alle Cafés haben ein (Yes, every Cafe has one)
- Danke, I said, and ordered another Wiener melange.

(The picture is not from Café Havelka, but from Hundertwasser Haus)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails