May 29, 2010

Like a small world


The ship is like a small world, in two ways. We’re physically isolated from the rest of the world, in the middle of the ocean. A few birds are still following us. They have many hours to fly, to get back to the coast. Looking around there is nothing but ocean to see, in any direction. It’s cool when you can actually see that the Earth is a sphere. The best view is from the bridge.

There are 45 people on board, from 12 different countries. There are Europeans, Americans, Canadians, Russians and Filipinos. In the mess, where we eat, there are four tables; one table for the Filipinos, one for the Russians, one for the Polish, and one for the rest. It’s not because people don't like each other. However, when English is the official working language, people are happy to talk their own language during the meals. Hot meals are served four times a day. I better be careful to not gain weight.

We’re almost done deploying cables now. Then we will deploy and test the seismic source, which will take about one day.

7 comments:

  1. That small world looks like Heaven, although it also looks Cold (get that? did you get that? :):)

    Seriously, sometimes I think I'd like to exchange my busy city world for the isolation of (almost) nothing but sea and sky...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, yes I got that, Judy. And you're completely right; it's Heaven and it's Cold, but not too bad today, with very little wind >:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! You must be making this stuff up! But then how could you? Crazy, crazy, crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting. I'm glad you're sharing with us. I'm also surprised you have Internet connection there!

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Internet connection is via satellite and a proxy server in the Netherlands.

    By the way, I have just eaten my third hot meal today, at midnight, but I skipped the desert this time >:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does the scenery (if you have time between busy works) inspire your writing?

    Steamy Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a story you might read about...very interesting!! I will be back to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails