May 24, 2010

To the northernmost town in the world


First one and a half hours with a big passenger jet going northward. Then another 45 minutes further to the north with Six Flags Airlines. Here I am, in the northernmost town in the world, at 70 degrees north. Travel around the world at this latitude, and you will find ... snow and ice.

The town is nice, at least in the summer, but cold, 5 degrees Celcius (40 Fahrenheit) only. Trees don't grow here, it's too cold. Now it’s light all the time. That's nice. Last sunrise was two weeks ago, next sunset is in the last week of July.

Tonight I have just been looking around. I put on all my clothes and walked around the town centre, It takes only five minutes. There is a harbor with some fishing boats, and they have a church of course. God is everywhere, even in remote arctic towns. What the Hell is he doing here?

I know what I’m doing here. But the work doesn’t start until tomorrow >:)

1 comment:

  1. It's one of those wish-I-could-do-it-sometime things, to visit a town like that. Just the concept of the next sunset being months away... just doesn't sound real.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails