May 9, 2010

The old jew from Brooklyn

Last night I was reading some old travel diaries, from university days, when I was a physics student.

Once we stayed in a small youth hostel in Vienna. There were six beds in each room, and separate rooms for boys and girls. In my room I met a small and skinny man, with white hair and a big beard. He was an 85 year old jew from Brooklyn, older than the rest of us together. He had sold everything he owned, and wanted to spend his money traveling around the world until he died. I thought that was a cool thing to do, while waiting for life to fade out.

He would have been close to 110 years old now, if he was still alive. I wonder how far he got on his journey. I hope he made it all the way to the end >:)

7 comments:

  1. I wish that the old man traveled all through his life, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could make for a great story, at least a short story. If I ran into someone like this now, I'd ask to interview him. I'm sure he'd have some interesting stories to tell.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, guess it could, Stephen ... if I were a good fiction writer ... I better start practising >:)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope so, too! How wonderful that would be.

    Love the photo. Is that a real place?

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it’s a real house in Vienna, designed by the Austrian painter and architect with the kind of special name Friedensreich Regentag Dunkelbunt Hundertwasser. It’s actually an apartment building, where people live. Cool isn’t it? Check it out when you visit Vienna >:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe ... you never know, flour girl >:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails