November 11, 2010

The beauty of religion


I read in the newspaper about this farm worker in Pakistan. It was a woman who belongs to the Christian minority in the Muslim country.

One day she was sent to the spring to fetch water for the farm workers. The other farm workers refused to drink the water, because it had been carried by a Christian. The woman got pissed off and said: “Jesus died for our sins. What has Mohammad done for you?”

She was sentenced to death for blasphemy. Well deserved, of course, you can't just offend the gods and the prophets like that.

On the big day, she will be painted black in her face and pulled through town by a donkey, to the square where the cheering crowd is waiting to watch the execution. It will be a spectacular show.

It’s the beauty of religion.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. There are no words.

    Following! Nice ta meet ya Cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pakistan's one of those place. Walking the streets over there requires a mix of manhood and confirmity I can't quite comprehend. I,m nonetheless attracted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew: Thanks. Nice to meet you too >:)

    Ben: I know some Pakistanis, but I've never been to Pakistan myself. My impression is that it's a country with many facets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Matthew said, there are no words. Either that or write an essay detailing the many things I want to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is so sad. I'm a bit stunned. It is unfortunate that many prefer violence to tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Astrid: I'm looking forward to you essay. In the mean time, a good read is Jens Bjørneboe's trilogy The History of Bestiality, in particular the 1st book Moment of Freedom (my favorite)

    Chary: The author Jens Bjørneboe said: "I don't care what the Christians believe, but I can't ignore what the Christians do". Replace Christian successively with Muslim, Hindu, .... and back to Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is mind-boggling what people will do in the name of religion.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails