November 6, 2010

Fuck more and buy less


Yesterday my old lady and I had this very interesting conversation by the kitchen table. The big question was: Should we buy new cutlery or not? The old crap we have was bought cheap at IKEA in the previous millennium.
- I saw these nice knives and forks in a catalogue, she said.
- I'm quite happy eating with the ones we have, I said.
- It's quite expensive, $100 per pair, and we need six at least, she said.
- I don't care. If you want it just go ahead and buy it. It's your money.
- The design is really cool, she said.
I don't worry about the cost. It wouldn't ruin us. This is just one of these questions I don't bother to boggle my mind with. I'm not concerned about what cutlery we're eating with. Buying new we might get sharper knives, but we already have steak knives, and we have plenty of silver if we need to impress.

This was just one example. It happens over and over again. We throw away things that work fine, and buy new stuff just because it's newer and looks cooler. Things have become too cheap. It's too easy to just buy new. Does it make us happier? No, it doesn't. The better parts of life are not for sale in the shopping mall.

Fuck more and buy less >:)

6 comments:

  1. The problem with us is spoons. I have to buy separate spoons, because we have a monster who comes out at night and steals them...most everything else, we've had for 18 years (except for steak knives, because we do like sharp ones).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had austerity forced on us. Your suggestion fuck more, buy less has been a nice surprise benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true!
    However there's just something about a brand new computer or other electronic gadget...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate shopping because I hate crowds and malls and trying things on and clutter and... it's a fact I'm sure my husband loves.

    However, I love my Kindle and yesterday my husband came to me with with our AMEX bill and showed me all the latest charges which were all Kindle ebooks. I guess I'm an e-book-aholic.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Commenters, thank's a lot >:)

    Shopping malls and retailers, you're warned; we got better things to do >;)))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails