November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving


Holy shit! Six Flags Airlines was spectacular this evening. The tickets are pretty expensive, but they give you bang for the buck. I've been a frequent customer for some years, but never experienced anything like the roller-coaster ride we got today.

The start was smooth and easy. At cruising altitude the captain started to tease us: "Weather is nice. Good landing conditions. Easterly winds, so we expect some turbulence when we approach for landing"

And turbulence we got! No kidding.

I could never imagined an airplane moving like that, up and down and sideways, bullying the laws of physics. Some people cried, and some puked (the smell can not be mistaken).

The plane made a downward move so rapid that not a single ass touched the seat, like we were weightless in outer space. A tall man, two rows in front of me, banged his head in the ceiling. I bet you tighten your seatbelt better next time, dude.

I think we were all pretty shaky and exhausted when we touched down on the runway.

These pilots really impress me. They know how to keep a Dash 8 flying. They're very experienced, flying up and down in the turbulence between the small and remote airports in the north, all day, all year. And they all retire happily at age 56.

It's Thanksgiving today, so I should probably say: "Thank you guys for bringing us down safely"

In Satan we trust >:O

12 comments:

  1. Wow. My stomach turned and I'm only reading about being on the plane. That's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only ever had one like that, and kept thinking about wind sheer. Queasy just thinking about it. I reckon the pilots deserve to retire earlyish if those conditions are common up there. Horrible to clean up afterwards for some unlucky person UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love turbulency. I sleep like a baby in the worst ones. On a flight back from the States once I noticed people crying as I was being rocked to sleep, and when I woke up four hours later it was still as bad and people were sitting whitefaced and holding tight onto their armrests. I almost felt guilty for sleeping so well through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Realistically, I know that it's extremely rare that a plane crashes due to turbulence. I find it interesting to fly in turbulence, but must admit that I find these wild rides somewhat exhausting. For some reason these roller-coaster rides feels safer in the small propeller planes than in big jets.

    Silme: You must be one of the few who knows how to enjoy a rough ride. Cool >:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my case it is (mostly) related to the fact that for two years I commuted overnight, twice a week, on an icebreaker. I started associating engine sounds and extreme bumpiness and sometimes rather choppy waves with safety and sleep. Rock-a-bye baby.

    On the other hand I also love a good adrenaline kick. And flying.

    I understand what you mean with the smaller plane thing - I am very much the same with boats; the large cruise ships are bloody scary - I have no idea what is happening. The smaller craft I can just take over control on if worst comes to worst!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silme: Commuting with an ice breaker that's kind of exotic and exciting. I would be happy to do that too, at least for a while. I agree that it's really pleasant to got to sleep in a small (or mid-size) boat that rocks the sea ... provided the bed is in the long direction of the ship >:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever woke up with your head tilting downwards at a 20 degree angle with a roaring whisky-hangover?

    The worst part of that is not the wake-up. It is the slow tilting back up once you are conscious. Then back down again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I haven't experienced that. Safety rules for offshore work are very strict, which means:
    1. Alcohol is completely banned on board.
    2. Locking the cabin door is not allowed.
    In fact I feel more safe on a seismic vessel in waves on arctic ocean than on a cruise ship in the calm Mediterranean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I didn't mean in a work situation as such, more on a ship/boat in general. :I Like that cruise ship in the Med?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love the rocking of a ship - but not a plane!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura: Yes, that's true. Moving with the waves at sea is better than feeling like a drunk bee 10000 feet above ground >:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I told my son about your flight and he was amazed. I think you're a tad nuts to keep flying them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails