April 25, 2014

A-Z Challenge 22: Venom

For most people, I guess, venom does give any positive associations. It was the same with me, until I heard Venom, a heavy metal band from Newcastle. In 1982 Venom released the album “Black Metal”, which gave the name to a new subgenre extreme metal.

Venom initiated the first wave of black metal, and influenced the bands that developed the second wave of black metal (Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Gorgoroth, Satyricon, Emperor, Taake, Dimmu Borgir), in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

The bands I mostly listen to came out of the second wave of black metal, but still it’s worth listening to the title track from Venom’s album “Black Metal”. The YouTube link is here

4 comments:

  1. Not familiar with these bands, but my husband may be. I've listened to heavy metal before (hard not to, in the 80s), but not black metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to metal in the 80s too, and I still do

      Delete
  2. Sorry, it's a band I don't listen to due to their religious beliefs and actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a valid argument, if course.

      Some if the black metal bands (but not many) did some crazy things in the 90s (burning down churches). I don't support these acts, but I like the music >:)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails