April 5, 2014

A-Z Challenge 05: Education

Years ago, when I was a young physics student, I tried to avoid anything that smelled of industry and commercial application of science. I wanted to do pure science for science’s sake.

Now I’m working for BigOil.

The story goes like this: I wrote my master thesis on the theory of elementary particles, a weird but interesting mix of quantum mechanics and Einstein’s theory of relativity (this mix is called quantum field theory). When I had received my master degree, I got a job offer within geophysics, and petroleum exploration.

I discussed this issue with an old professor I got to know. Should I accept the job offer, or go for a PhD in quantum field theory? This is what the old professor said:
“It doesn’t really matter which wave equation you solve, but for some you get better paid.”

It’s probably the best advice I ever got. And I’ve got education for a life.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh. I've wondered similarly whether to pursue more education or get a job with what I've got. I've thought lately, too, that that just might be some pretty sage advice.... Didn't know you studied physics. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did an MSc in physics, and then worked for 3-4 years before taking a PhD in geophysics. I think its good to get some experience before graduate studies >:)

      Delete
  2. Experience is good before any studies. I wish I had spent some more time learning about myself before I went to university.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some experience makes it easier to make the right choice. That's my experience :>:)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails