April 29, 2014

A-Z Challenge 25: YNWA

I have some Facebook friends who write weird status updates. Sometimes they write YNWA, and nothing more. I wondered for a while what does it mean? It seams like crazy to me to write YNWA, and nothing more, on a regular basis.

After a while it came to my mind that all these guys writing YNWA have one thing in common: They belong to the football (soccer) religion, and they worship the gods of Liverpool FC. YNWA simply means "You'll Never Walk Alone". This old song has been sung by the Liverpool FC supporters for more than 50 years, and have become like a hymn or anthem for the club. (Here is a YouTube video of the mixed choir of 45.000 voices on Anfield Road singing YNWA .)

This season Liverpool has been very good, and are currently lading the Premier League. Therefore, the Liverpool fans have written their cryptic praise quite often (but yesterday, when Liverpool lost 0-2 against Chealsea, their FB updates were more like WTF). Some of the hard-core Liverpool fans (including my brother) even tattoo YNWA or the club logo on their arms.

I don't have this religious relationship with football, and I'm not a Liverpool fan (I support Leeds United), so I don't write YNWA all over the place. But once, I went to Liverpool together with my brother to see a Premier League game, and I must admit it was a Hell of a lot of fun. I might even do it once again this fall.


(I took the picture above 3 years ago by the memorial of the Hillsborough disaster outside Anfield Road Stadium in Liverpool. In the FA Cup semifinal in 1989 at Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield, 96 Liverpool supporters were killed and more than 700 injured in a crush on the stand when  to many people were given entry.)

3 comments:

  1. At least you figured out what it meant. I never would've guessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is annoying when people post a jumble of letters together because I always end up scratching my head trying to figure out what it stands for.

    "You'll Never Walk Alone" . . . I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that's what it means! Thank you.
    Our son is a ManU fan, but it's been fun watching Liverpool this year, and almost stress free since ManU really weren't in the running.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails