April 11, 2014

A-Z Challenge 11: Kevin Keegan (and Billy Bremner)

Does anyone remember Kevin Keegan? He was the superstar of Liverpool FC in th 1970s, and the hero of all the kids who supported Liverpool. My brother was a Liverpool supporter, and my best friend too. I was not. My favorite team was (and still is) Leeds United.

No matter what team we supported, all the kids collected football cards. We bought them in the local shop, packages of 4 football cards and a chewing gum.

Once I had my lucky day. I opened a new package of cards, and got Kevin Keegan. This card was worth a pile of cards with ordinary players. In change for my Kevin Keegan card, I got virtually the entire Leeds United team, including Peter Lorimer, Alan Clarke, Norman Hunter, and not the least, Billy Bremner, the read-headed Scot who ruled the midfield for Super-Leeds >:)


 
(Billy Bremner died from a heart attack in 1997, at the age of 55. He has been honored with a statue outside Elland Road stadium in Leeds. I took the picture a couple of years ago when I was in Leeds to watch Leeds vs. Cardiff in the Championship League)

8 comments:

  1. Collecting sports cards was a huge pastime for kids when I was young. I think it's something that's been lost in this technology age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collecting cards is nit interesting anymore. Now the kids have PlayStation and smartphones

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, I did. And now the Liverpool fans are going crazy because Liverpool are close to winning the league, for the first time in 25 years

      Delete
  3. I never collected football cards, but there were horrible cartoons that came with a particular brand of bubble gum and I was obsessed with them for a while. Wonder whatever happened to those cards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did the cards go? I don't know. I think my football cards are probably somewhere in my parents house

      Delete
  4. In the states, my boys collected American football and baseball cards. I miss those days. It was so easy to buy them packs of cards as small gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the card collection disappeared when Internet came.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails