April 7, 2014

A-Z Challenge 07: Green card

Many years ago, when I was a graduate student, we (wife, older boy and I) lived in Colorado for about a year. When our neighbors (from Venezuela) heard that we were moving back to Europe, they asked me:

“Didn’t you get a Green Card?”
“No,” I said.
“Why not?”
“I didn’t apply for one.”

It was hard for my neighbor to understand, and I tried to explain:

We really liked living in Colorado, and enjoyed it a lot. We got to know some awesome people, we hiked some fantastic national parks, and we skied some great slopes. But one year was enough; perfect.

We didn’t like the American system. The rich are too rich, and the poor are too poor. It’s sometimes better (with Clinton and Obama), and sometimes worse (with Reagan and 2xBush). We don’t fit into a political fauna where the only options are right-wing and ultra-right-wing. I'm too liberal, and too radical. It's not my style.

We wanted to go back to Winterland, where we belong >:)


(Colorado is awesome. Picture taken in October some years ago along I-70 right outside Denver.)

8 comments:

  1. Man I hear you with this one. I'm in Australia, and I am really struggling with our latest elected Prime Minister - lets just say he's to the right of George B Jnr. I have seriously been considering leaving the country.
    But where do I go? I can't go to the States. Besides what you have described, Im afraid of their health care system.
    I'm thinking Asia - or Africa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about going to the Old World, Europe? I can tell you that life is pretty good in Winterland >:)

      Delete
  2. That's a nice idea - but its a little trickier to get into the countries over there. Still, I think I can rustle up a British passport due to a grandparent - so that might have some benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a British passport, you could move to any country in the European Union. UK might be the simplest though, since the rest of Europe speaks a lot of weird languages, such as French, German and Finnish >:)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are right where you belong. Fun to see you doing the challenge this year.
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the longer term I'm where I belong. For a shorter period of time, I enjoy being other places >:)

      Delete
  4. Um, not going to comment much on this, as I am not a fan of Clinton or Obama, and am pretty conservative on financial issues, but definitely liberal on social issues. But thanks for stopping by my G post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a democracy it's perfectly legal to be concervative on the financial and liberal on the social. But in practise it can sometimes be difficult to make the two fit together, I think >:)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails